Wednesday, August 31, 2016

Yoga Books: The Bhagavad Gita

Title: The Bhagavad Gita
Published: Penguin Classics, 2010 (First published -500)
Author: Anonymous


Description: 'The Bhagavad Gita', a scintillating jewel embedded in the great Sanskrit epic Mahabharata, is a dialogue between Krishna and Arjuna set against the background of war. At the beginning of the poem, we learn that there is going to be a great war for the rule of a kingdom. (Taken from Goodreads)

Thoughts: I'm going to make my thoughts on this book quite short. Basically, this is one of the essential readings of Yoga, if you're interested in the spiritual and I guess you could say, religious aspect of a Yoga practice.

I read the Penguin Cloth bound classic version of the book and the translator was Juan Mascaro. He included a pretty comprehensive introduction that talked about the translation as well as some of the other ancient sanskrit texts on the same sort of topics.  I found the introduction to be really interesting and it gave a lot of insight into the history of the book and the translations surrounding it.

In terms of the actual text itself, I found it to be quite easy to read and really insightful. The poem is split into smaller pieces so you can read a section and take a break and let the ideas and philosophy being presented sink in a little and then move on.

I quite enjoyed reading The Bhagavad Gita and I definitely think I'll read through it again at some point.

2 comments:

  1. Thanks for the tips! I just started out a little over three weeks ago. I am planning on setting up my e-mail list this week, and I was considering using Mad Mimi. Thanks for the tutorial!

    ReplyDelete

Comments are always awesome!