Friday, January 22, 2016

The Eye of the World by Robert Jordan

Title: The Eye of the World

Author: Robert Jordan

Published: Orbit, 2006 (First published 1990)

Pages: 800

Series: Book 1, The Wheel of Time

Summary: The Wheel of Time turns and Ages come and pass, leaving memories that become legend. Legend fades to myth and even myth is long forgotten when the Age that gave it birth returns again. But one truth remains, and what mortal men forget, the Aes Sedai do not...
What was, what will be, and what is, may yet fall under the shadow.  (Taken from Goodreads)

Thoughts: As someone who loves fantasy I was recommended this book by a friend a few years ago and so I added this series to the list of books I should read.  It wasn't until I learned that Brandon Sanderson finished off the series after Robert Jordan passed away that I bumped this series up a little higher on my list.

I started this book and got immersed into the story straight away.  The setting was well described and I could picture myself being there.  There was enough happening in the beginning that I managed to get about 300 pages into the book before my interest in the book waned a little.  I think my biggest issue with this is that there were just a lot of other books that I was a little more interested in reading at that point.  I actually put the book down for a couple of months before picking it up again this month.

Once I got back into the story I found it relatively easy to read through.  There were a few things I thought were predictable about the plot but I was more appreciative of the writing and the world building in this book than the plotline.

From what I gather from this book there are a few characters that the book series is going to follow.  There were two characters I liked more than the others and there were two that I didn't like very much.  There was just something about Mat and Egwene that annoyed me.  On the other hand I quite liked Rand and Perrin.

Overall, I really enjoyed reading The Eye of the World.  It wasn't the most amazing book in the world as there were a couple of slow parts in the book where I started to get a little bored.  That being said, I am looking forward to reading the next book in the series soon.

No comments:

Post a Comment

Comments are always awesome!