Monday, January 25, 2016

Howards End is on the Landing by Susan Hil

Title: Howards End is on the Landing: A Year of Reading From Home

Author: Susan Hill

Published: Profile Books, 2009

Pages: 236

Summary: Early one autumn afternoon in pursuit of an elusive book on her shelves, Susan Hill encountered dozens of others that she had never read, or forgotten she owned, or wanted to read for a second time. 

The discovery inspired her to embark on a year-long voyage through her books, forsaking new purchases in order to get to know her own collection again. 
A book which is left on a shelf for a decade is a dead thing, but it is also a chrysalis, packed with the potential to burst into new life. Wandering through her house that day, Hill's eyes were opened to how much of that life was stored in her home, neglected for years.  (Taken from Goodreads)

Thoughts: I found this book as a recommendation on a website and seeing as how I will be predominantly reading from home this year, I figured that this book may give me some inspiration to keep at my large pile of books and not go out and buy more.

This book isn't exactly what I thought it would be, but really that was absolutely fine.  Instead, this book is more a story of Susan Hill poring over her shelves and reminiscing about some of the books she read.  She tells really fascinating stories about meeting so many of the authors on her shelves and I felt like I could definitely have read more.

I loved this book.  I don't even have a lot more to say about the book than that I loved it.  It was just such an interesting book and it made me think about the books that I read when I was younger and it also pointed me towards some authors to check out in the future.

Susan Hill is an amazing writer and she just weaves this interesting story of her reading history and how different books appeared in different places in her life.  The writing is so wonderful that I feel very much inadequate at describing how good this book is.

No comments:

Post a Comment

Comments are always awesome!