Monday, March 30, 2015

Blood, Wine and Chocolate by Julie Thomas

Title: Blood, Wine and Chocolate

Author: Julie Thomas

Published: HarperCollins, 1 March 2015

Pages: 352

Summary: Hidden away in a witness protection programme on an idyllic island vineyard in New Zealand, Vinnie Whitney-Ross could be forgiven for thinking he has escaped the clutches of the childhood friend - a ruthless London mobster - he helped convict for a gruesome double murder. But old grudges die hard, cops are bent, and the finest wines and chocolates find new and unexpected uses when Vinnie's present runs headlong into his secret past. From the mean streets of the East End to the sparkling waters of Auckland, this tale of switched identities, vengeful obsession and lethal ingenuity is as addictive as chocolate, with more twists than a corkscrew.  (Taken from Goodreads)

Thoughts: After reading the synopsis I was pretty interested in reading this book.  For starters, it sounded like an interesting thrillerish crime novel which I am always interested in, and secondly I am trying to read more books by New Zealand authors, which Julie Thomas is.


I felt like the story was slow to get into the murder aspect, as it took quite a few pages to set up the story.  It was probably about a third of the book that was spent setting up the backgrounds of the characters.  I did find it quite interesting.  


This book wasn't as much of a thriller as what I was expecting but focused more on the crime aspect.  The book was set in a mob boss kind of scene but at the same time it tended to follow Vinnie's life a bit more which was less involved in the whole mob scene.

There are so many things that happen in this book that when I finished it I felt a little overwhelmed by all of the events.  I did enjoy this book, it just wasn't what I was completely expecting.  I really did enjoy the dark comedy aspect that was thrown into the mix a little bit.

I will definitely be interested in checking out more of Julie Thomas' books in the future as her writing was quite nice.

Source: HarperCollins for review

No comments:

Post a Comment

Comments are always awesome!