Monday, July 7, 2014

Blind Spot by Laura Ellen

Title: Blind Spot

Author:  Laura Ellen

Published: Harcourt Children's Books, 2012

Pages: 336

Summary: Seventeen-year-old Tricia Farni’s body floated to the surface of Alaska’s Birch River six months after the night she disappeared. The night Roz Hart had a fight with her. The night Roz can’t remember. Roz, who struggles with macular degeneration, is used to assembling fragments to make sense of the world around her. But this time it’s her memory that needs piecing together—to clear her name . . . to find a murderer.  (Taken from Goodreads)

Thoughts: I have to say that I didn't particularly enjoy Blind Spot.  The description and the marketing of this book make it out to be a thrilling murder mystery and that is really not entirely true.  Yes there is a death and there is some investigation into the death.  However, this book more focuses on the main character, Roz's dealing with her disability and her relationships with different people.

Now, why did I not like this book?  One, it really isn't a murder mystery book which is what I had expected it to be.
Two, the main character is terrible.  Yes she has this bizarre disability but she is so hostile towards so many people and ridiculously naive that she just drove me nuts.
Three, most of the side characters were ridiculously unrealistic and I just could not believe the way they behaved and the attitudes they had.  The teacher Mr Dellian, was one of the worst people and I don't even understand how someone in his job could even act like that.
Four, the story took some really odd directions at some point and I found it to be a little bit too much.
Five, even though it's marketed as a murder mystery, you don't really get an actual solid answer.

Were there any redeeming qualities for this book?  Well, I think that the cover is really pretty but as far as content goes I just feel like all of the things I didn't like about the book outshone anything in the book that could have been good.  There were a couple of characters that I really liked but everything else about this book just really bothered me.

Overall, I thought this book was ok but not something I personally could really enjoy.  It just was not for me.

No comments:

Post a Comment

Comments are always awesome!