Monday, February 4, 2013

Phantom of Terawhiti by Des Hunt

Title: Phantom of Terawhiti

Author: Des Hunt

Published: HarperCollins NZ, 1 February 2013

Pages: 256

Summary: It's the school holidays and Zac thinks he might go crazy with boredom. He's living in exile with his disgraced father on the remote Terawhiti Station on Wellington's wild southwest coast. Then Zac and his dad witness a boat sink during a storm. Investigating further, Zac finds a set of unusual animal prints on the beach. Whose boat is it? And what creature could have made the prints? Soon armed men are prowling the coast, and threatening Zac, his friends and his family. He must do all he can to protect the Phantom of Terawhiti from those intent on hunting it down.  (Taken from Goodreads)

Thoughts: This is the second book by Des Hunt that I have read and I feel like I was even more impressed with this one.  I sat down to start it and basically ended up polishing the book off the same day.  It was a really entertaining read and I had a lot of fun reading through it.

I found the story line to be really good.  It has a mysterious element to it which I really loved and I just thought it was so engrossing.

The characters were really believable and I really liked Zac.  I did find Jess’ actions to be a little annoying though, I really want to tell her to just listen to Zac and then things wouldn’t have gone as far as they did.  I did think she did redeem herself a little bit in the end though.

The writing is simplistic and straightforward which is to be expected as it’s written for a younger YA audience and I feel as though it just made the book flow on smoothly and made it really easy to just fly through the pages.

Overall, I thought that Phantom of Terawhiti was a really good read and I am definitely keen on reading more by Des Hunt.


Kiwi Spotlight:


This kiwi indicates that this book was written by a New Zealand author. It is also set in New Zealand.

No comments:

Post a Comment

Comments are always awesome!