Thursday, March 15, 2012

50 Underwear Questions by Tanya Lloyd Kyi

Title: 50 Underwear Questions


Author: Tanya Lloyd Kyi


Published: Annick Press, 2011


Pages: 116


Summary: "You are what you wear (underneath) "
Most of us take our underwear for granted, but throughout history our undies have revealed a lot about who we are (king or peasant), how we work (in fields or factories) or the shapes we value (manly calves or tiny waists).
The third book in Annick's 50 Questions series tackles questions such as "What's that smell?" (Medieval Europeans thought bathing made you sick) and "Did boxers arrive in the Nick of time?" (When blue jean model Nick Kamen stepped out of his denims to reveal his boxers, sales of the underwear soared.)
Underwear has played a role in ancient crusades, city sieges and even modern economic predictions. Obviously, it's time to uncover the facts about everything from loincloths and T-shirts to bloomers and lingerie.   (Taken from Goodreads)
Thoughts: Ever wondered about underwear and its history?  Well now you don’t have to with this book.  50 Underwear Questions gives the history of underwear and has some very interesting facts.
One thing I really loved was that there were some neat little fact boxes in great illustrations.  I was always entertained by them.  The facts were really interesting too.

The whole book has illustrations that I really enjoyed.  A lot of the time I am pretty good at ignoring illustrations in books but these ones stood out to me.

50 Underwear Questions is quite short but it is full of information.  I feel as though I’m going to tell everyone I know a lot of the things I’ve learnt from this book.

Tanya Lloyd Kyi delivers the history of underwear in a fascinating and often humorous way.  If you’ve ever been curious about the history of underwear then I definitely recommend this one.

Source: NetGalley

No comments:

Post a Comment

Comments are always awesome!