Tuesday, January 31, 2012

Cardsharp by Paul Westmoreland

Title: Cardsharp


Author: Paul Westmoreland


Published: December 2010


Links:
Amazon
Lulu
Goodreads
POW Books


Summary:  Cardsharp is an exciting adventure book for children set in the art world. Escaping house fires and fighting daring robbers is just the beginning for art researcher, Vincent Ward, and these battles do little to prepare him for the exciting adventure that unfolds. An old journal discovered at an auction in Rome puts Vincent on the trail of an undiscovered painting by one of art history’s most notorious masters, Caravaggio. But paintings this rare and valuable are sought after by more than just collectors and galleries. Vincent soon finds himself on the run from a brutal and lawless policeman, a gang of international criminals, and fighting vicious pirates. There are stings, tricks and conspiracies around every corner, and bullets flying from the shadows. Only The National Gallery, London is safe for Vincent and the painting. But is there a way back? Get ready to be thrown into the world of Vincent Ward, where getting through each day alive just isn’t enough.  (Taken from Goodreads)


Thoughts: I wasn’t really sure what to expect with Cardsharp but when I started it I got pulled into an exciting story that got more exciting and more interesting as it went along.


Cardsharp reminded me a lot of The Adventures of TinTin.  Vincent Ward sets off on an adventure and he ends up getting caught up in this world of intrigue and the bad guys have guns and there’s a little bit of violence from them as Vincent tries to get back his precious painting.

I thought that Cardsharp was a fun read but I have to say that it has really bad spelling and grammar errors.  I’m not sure if it’s just from the epub version I read or not but a lot of the words had the letters, i, f or t missing and so that really bothered me.

Not knowing much about Caravaggio or art for that matter I found that the explanations were really good and I was still able to enjoy the book with a very limited knowledge of art history and it made Cardsharp a learning experience as well which I always like.

Overall, I would say that Cardsharp was a really fun read and is good for anyone who likes adventure novels.  I’d say it’s more in the middle grade genre as it has quite a simplistic writing style to it which makes it an easy book to breeze through.


Source:

1 comment:

  1. Thanks for being a part of this tour. Sorry you got a digital copy that was messed up. It was just the digital copies that for some reason would delete letters, in mine it was the L's. :(

    ReplyDelete

Comments are always awesome!